History

Since its creation, in 1956, Finolex has followed the strategy of expansion and modernisation, which has placed the Company at the forefront of the cables industry.

History

In July 1945, two young brothers P.P. Chhabria and K.P. Chhabria came to Pune from Karachi in search of livelihood and within six months set up a small shop selling electrical cables. The retail business became quite successful. A sizeable order in the mid 1950's from the Defence Department for wire harnesses for trucks and tanks bolstered their confidence and they decided to manufacture Cables, themselves.

Starting as a small-scale industrial unit in 1956, they manufactured PVC insulated cables for the automobile industry. Finolex brand was born from "Fine" & "Flexibles" and "O" with an electric arc across it - signifying the electrical cable business the company was in. Their relentless search for growth and doughty perseverance saw them through some difficult times and in 1972 the enterprise turned into a limited company.

Since then, there has been no looking back and following a public offering in July 1983, Finolex Cables Limited embarked on a continuous process of expansion and modernisation which enabled it to become the most diversified & largest cable manufacturer in the country.

Their relentless quest for growth saw the brothers establishing Finolex Industries Limited (FIL) in 1981. The company sought to manufacture Rigid PVC Pipes and Fittings at Pune, which find large-scale application in the agriculture sector. In a shrewd move towards backward integration, the company has set up a PVC resin manufacturing facility at Ratnagiri on the West coast of India.

The early nineties saw the Finolex Group expanding into new business domains to manufacture Optic Fibre Cables and Copper Rods.