- 28/Sept, 2018
7 Common Electrical Hazards at your Workplace that you’re totally unaware of!!
Electricity is part of our daily lives, right from the time we wake up and throughout the day. We take it for granted and have forgotten how powerful it is and can also be dangerous. While at home, we are aware of the electrical risks and we follow safety rules such as unplugging unused devices, putting off switches when not in use, no open or live wires lying around, using circuit breakers and various other precautions.
While at our workplace, where most of the work tasks are done while sitting in a chair in an air conditioned office building, would seem perfectly safe. However, a surprising number of hazards can be present in an office setting. To keep you safe at your workplace, we have listed a few common electrical hazards that you should be aware of and take necessary precautions.
Faulty or Damaged Wiring
Non-functioning wires or cables should be removed at once. Cables which are frayed, loose or have exposed wires should be attended to and replaced. Damaged wires and cables can cause electric shocks and fires.
If too many devices are plugged into a circuit, the current will heat the wires to a very high temperature, which may cause a fire. If the wire insulation melts, arcing may occur and cause a fire in the area where the overload exists or even inside a wall.
Use of Extension Cords
Extension cords tend to develop cracks and other defects that can lead to shocks. And these problems cannot be covered with electrical tape. Better to be safe and position your electrical devices within reach of an electrical outlet rather than to use an extension cord.
Water Spill on Electrical Devices
No electrical equipment should be operated or even switched in case of contact with water. Water greatly increases the risk of electrocution especially if the equipment has damaged insulation. Switch off the main power connection, then unplug all the wet or damp equipment. Make sure you dry them out well. Have a certified electrician check the device to confirm it is no longer a danger and can be switched back on.
Every electrical equipment, appliance or device must be Earthed or grounded to obtain a low resistance path for dissipation of current into the earth. Ground fault current directly has an impact on human safety, can cause fires and electrical shock. Additionally, ungrounded electrical systems can be potentially hazardous to your electronics. This important safety feature takes the extra electricity away from your device, which can save your electronics from damages.
Incorrectly placed Electrical Cords
Electrical cords should be installed in a proper manner and with safety in mind. They are mostly located within or along walls. There should not be any loose wires as well. Also ensure that no electrical cables run through high-traffic areas, under carpets or across doorways.
Loose Fitting Plugs
Plug for all electrical equipment’s should be firmly fitted in its socket. Be aware that loose-fitting plugs can potentially cause equipment to overheat and catch fire. It may require periodic physical checks to ensure that the plug has not loosened. Be wary when cleaning of work location takes place and equipment is moved during cleaning, causing the plug to get loosen from the socket.
Let us now be aware and take the necessary steps to mitigate any risk at our workplace. It is our office and we need to be a part of the safety efforts and measures. Risks are everywhere, but how we handle the risk makes a big difference. Stay alert, stay safe.