- 24 /Feb, 2018
Evolution of Fans
Fans have existed for over a millennium. Egyptians used lotus leaves as fans. Greeks and Romans liked peacock feathers. The electrical fan was introduced in 1882 and has evolved over time.
Let’s look at how one of the most essential electrical wonder has evolved over a period of time.
• 1734 – Frenchman John Theophilus Desagulier invents the paddle fan to ventilate mines.
• 1882 – Schuyler Skaats Wheeler invents the electric fan taking help of the infant science of electricity. He invented the desktop fan with two blades.
• 1889 – Philip H. Diehl patents the ceiling fan after he mounted a fan blade on sewing machine motor and installing the whole unit on the ceiling.
• 1894 – German professor Hermann Rietchel publishes Guide to Calculating and Design of Ventilation and Heating Installations.
• 1896 – Fans with more than two blades are produced.
• 1904 – Oscillating fan debuts when Diehl and Co put a split-ball joint on the ceiling fan allowing it to be redirected.
• 1910 – Westinghouse marketing an electric fan for household use claiming that electricity usage would cost one-fourth of a penny per hour.
• 1934 – Self-contained window fans using plastic instead of metal were introduced by Vent-Axia.
• 1937 – A new plastic laminate for coating fan blades called Micarta, made fans quieter and less likely to corrode.
Over the decades, fans have evolved into aesthetic decorative pieces for homes apart from their cooling functions. They are available in different kinds of designs to suit the interiors. Some also have aesthetic lights to add the mystic ambience to your space. Moving away from switchboards and regulators, modern fans can also be controlled remotely.
31/ 07, 2019 The scorching summer heat takes a toll on your mind and body. The days are long and tiring while the nights are humid and uncomfortable, making it impossible to live without sufficient ventilation. Electric fans are an easy and budget-friendly solution to beat the heat. However, table fans are even more convenient […]
30/ 07, 2019 An office is a creative space to brainstorm and come up with innovative solutions. All the aspects of a workspace have to be conducive enough for employees to be productive and full of energy. There are many problems individuals face in their work environment, be it work deadlines or performance pressure. These […]
30/ 07, 2019 We come across myriads of electrical and electronic instruments in our everyday life. All of this equipment is made of circuits with the right connections for accurate functioning of these appliances. For a circuit to function well, a vital component called a resistor needs to be present. Resistors are one of the […]
15/ 07, 2019 A real bond elucidates true love, respectful relationships and happiness that is shared. A real bond is the link that holds a family together, not just by blood, but with boundless affection and countless memories that can be cherished for years to come. The first-ever real bond is the one with our […]
30/ 06, 2019 As the name suggests, a floor light or floor lamp is a tall-standing lighting device that is placed on the ground. Typically, a floor lamp ranges from between 4 feet to 6 feet based on its functionality. Since the light is elevated, it provides an illusion of vertical space, making it one […]