- 24 /Feb, 2018
Evolution of Fans
Fans have existed for over a millennium. Egyptians used lotus leaves as fans. Greeks and Romans liked peacock feathers. The electrical fan was introduced in 1882 and has evolved over time.
Let’s look at how one of the most essential electrical wonder has evolved over a period of time.
• 1734 – Frenchman John Theophilus Desagulier invents the paddle fan to ventilate mines.
• 1882 – Schuyler Skaats Wheeler invents the electric fan taking help of the infant science of electricity. He invented the desktop fan with two blades.
• 1889 – Philip H. Diehl patents the ceiling fan after he mounted a fan blade on sewing machine motor and installing the whole unit on the ceiling.
• 1894 – German professor Hermann Rietchel publishes Guide to Calculating and Design of Ventilation and Heating Installations.
• 1896 – Fans with more than two blades are produced.
• 1904 – Oscillating fan debuts when Diehl and Co put a split-ball joint on the ceiling fan allowing it to be redirected.
• 1910 – Westinghouse marketing an electric fan for household use claiming that electricity usage would cost one-fourth of a penny per hour.
• 1934 – Self-contained window fans using plastic instead of metal were introduced by Vent-Axia.
• 1937 – A new plastic laminate for coating fan blades called Micarta, made fans quieter and less likely to corrode.
Over the decades, fans have evolved into aesthetic decorative pieces for homes apart from their cooling functions. They are available in different kinds of designs to suit the interiors. Some also have aesthetic lights to add the mystic ambience to your space. Moving away from switchboards and regulators, modern fans can also be controlled remotely.
31/ 05, 2019 It is safe to say that in today’s digital age, wired connections have taken a back seat. They are often synonymous with clutter and inconvenience, creating a mirage of limitations that tend to camouflage their benefits. However, when it comes to the aspect of functionality and security, wired broadband is still remains […]
31/ 05, 2019 Summer is at its peak in India, and the last thing you need is your air conditioner switching off and tripping the circuit breaker. If this happens to your air conditioner frequently, you may be wondering how to rectify the situation. Let’s first take a look at the role your AC circuit […]
31/ 05, 2019 There is no doubt that a safe workplace ensures a safe workforce – and the one aspect that plays a big role in safety at work is the use of right electrical switches. This is especially true when you are dealing with a small workspace where the switches are used frequently and […]
30/ 04, 2019 Do you know that one out of six electrocutions in India are caused due to the non-usage of proper electrical safety equipment? Apart from voltage fluctuations and environmental factors like thunder and lighting, undertaking electrical work without appropriate gadgets and safety precautions are also one of the major causes of electric shock. […]