- 05 /March, 2018
Can you imagine your life without electricity? We bet you cannot.
The phrase Roti, Kapda and Makaan can actually be re-written now as Roti, Kapda, Makaan aur Electricity.
Electricity is the main source of power in our houses, office and industries. Although electricity has its numerous and humungous amount of advantages but it can also be very dangerous if not regulated properly. Electrical safety has been ignored even after knowing the ill effects it could cause. An improper handling / use of electricity can cause overload in electrical power resulting in damaging appliances, machinery, computers or sometime even cause a loss of life.
There have been lot of measures / products which have been introduced to make sure that electrical safety has been given due consideration and importance. One of those products is the MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker).
Finolex Snapptrip is a MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker), which is an automatically-operated electrical switch designed to bring safety to the livelihood by protecting the electrical appliances and people from electrical shocks and faults.
So, first of all, let us understand what is the difference between an Electrical Fuse and a MCB. Both have been designed for electrical safety. Let us understand how they are different from each other and which one should we instal in our households.
A fuse consists of a thin conducting wire with special thermal properties connected to two terminals at the ends.
Every conductor shows at least a small resistance to the flow of current, and these current heats up the conductor. Fuses are designed such that, when the amount of current passing through the thin wire exceeds the allowable limit, the heat generated causes the melting of the metal wire, disconnecting the internal circuit from the power source. Electrical characteristics of the fuses are rated, and the electrical system must operate within these rated values, to operate without any disruption.
Fuses have a Rated Current (IN), which is the maximum allowable current before the breakdown. Rated Voltage is the minimum voltage at which the circuit will become open due to melting of the wire. Temperature affects the resistance of materials; hence the voltage at which the fuse blows. Therefore, temperature tolerance is also rated for a fuse and marked on the package of the fuse.
The size of the fuse may vary from a centimetre to about half a metre. Also, the packaging changes depending on the application. Once a fuse is blown, it has to be replaced with a new one.
Miniature Circuit Breaker
A circuit breaker is an automatic switch that is designed using electromechanical techniques to prevent power overload damage or short circuits. A circuit breaker has a solenoid inside, and it is kept at a certain voltage level, to keep the triggering mechanism in balance. Once a fault is observed in the circuit, such as an overload or a short circuit, the switch is triggered, and the current flow is discontinued. After solving the pertaining problem in the electrical system, the circuit breaker can be switched back to on again.
Finolex Snapptrip is a MCB, which comes in different sizes and packages, specialised to the requirements of the electrical system. Finolex Snapptrip comes with a current and a voltage rating indicating maximum allowable current and voltage.
MCB has several advantages over the fuse:
1. MCB is more sensitive to current than fuse. It detects any abnormality in the current flow and automatically switches off the electrical circuit.
2. In case of MCB, the faulty zone of electrical circuit can be easily identified. Faulty circuit trips to the off position. On the other hand, in case of fuse, the complete fuse wire needs to be checked by opening the fuse grip for confirming the faulty zone.
3. With MCB, it is very simple to resume to the supply. You just need to push the knob of MCB back to on position. But in case of fuse, the entire fuse wire needs to be replaced.
4. MCB provides a better interface with the help of a knob than a fuse. In case of a fuse, the complete handle needs to be taken care of.
5. Handling MCB is electrically safer than handling a fuse.
6. MCB is reusable and hence has less maintenance and replacement cost. Whereas a fuse needs to be replaced whenever it goes faulty.