- 27/Aug, 2018
Tank vs Tankless Water Heater: Which one is the best?
On buying a new home, or renovating your house, there are multiple decisions to make and endless things to purchase. From flooring to room dcor, everything remains on our to-do list. But what we often do not give much importance to, is the water heater, which is, actually one of the most important home appliances. Picking a good water heater is not an easy task and requires a lot of research work. In this article, we will look at an often asked question, “Which water heater is the best for your home: Tank or Tankless”. Read on to know!
Storage tank water heater
Tank water heaters are available in two variants- gas and electric. They are insulated and keep the inner water warm, and have a thermostat to control temperature. Given below are some of their pros and cons.
• It has lower maintenance and repair cost than a tankless water heater. It only requires draining and flushing twice a year, and testing the pressure relief valve regularly
• Fewer installation complications
• Easily adapted to re-circulation and solar pre-heat applications – this is particularly ideal for desert areas
• Lower replacement costs
• Storage water tanks take up a lot of space. If you have limited floor or even wall space, this may not be suited for you
• These water heaters have a shorter lifespan which is about 10-15 years
• More energy is used to help maintain the temperature of stored water due to reheating water to ensure it is a pre-set temperature. This leads to higher utility bills
• The water in the tank gets heated to the limit of the size of the tank. This would be a limited hot water supply
Tankless water heaters
Tankless water heaters are convenient and energy-efficient and provide endless hot water supply. Instead of storing heated water in tank, it supplies water only when needed. We have listed below, a tankless water heater’s pros and cons.
• A tankless water heater usually lasts between 20-30 years, which is almost double the life of a storage tank water heater
• Tankless water heaters are small and can be installed in tight spaces
• You will never have to wait to get hot water. Tankless water heaters can deliver 2-3 gallons of hot water per minute
• Tankless water heaters can reduce energy cost by 25% as the energy is not used until hot water is needed
• Tankless water heaters have a higher purchase cost than a traditional storage tank
• Limited output: You cannot do multitasking because it does not store a huge amount of water and can serve only one shower/purpose at a time
• If you are replacing a storage tank water heater with a tankless water heater, the replacement can be pricey
• Requires regular professional maintenance
• Because there is no water storage, you don’t get hot water supply in case of a power cut
• Low flow rate: If the flow rate for hot water falls below 0.5 gallon per minute, the unit will not sense a draw and will not continue to heat water
Looking at the pros and cons for each, a storage tank water heater, and a tankless water heater, you would also need to consider the requirements of your needs and then decide what best suits you. Finolex offers a wide range of water heaters with capacity inputs from 1 litre to 35 litres. They are a unique combination of safety, performance and energy-saving features.
20/ 06, 2019 Pedestal fans are nothing but portable electric fans. They are electrically-powered devices that are used to circulate a cool breeze around your home. The weather in tropical countries like India can get extremely hot and humid, which is why investing a soothing ventilation system such as a pedestal fan can be very […]
20/ 06, 2019 Telephones are an important invention that have the ability to connect people all over the world. They consist of numerous pairs of copper insulated wires having a diameter that ranges from 0.3 to 0.9 and are either twisted into two or four pairs. These pairs of wires are then connected to each […]
31/ 05, 2019 It is safe to say that in today’s digital age, wired connections have taken a back seat. They are often synonymous with clutter and inconvenience, creating a mirage of limitations that tend to camouflage their benefits. However, when it comes to the aspect of functionality and security, wired broadband is still remains […]
31/ 05, 2019 Summer is at its peak in India, and the last thing you need is your air conditioner switching off and tripping the circuit breaker. If this happens to your air conditioner frequently, you may be wondering how to rectify the situation. Let’s first take a look at the role your AC circuit […]
31/ 05, 2019 There is no doubt that a safe workplace ensures a safe workforce – and the one aspect that plays a big role in safety at work is the use of right electrical switches. This is especially true when you are dealing with a small workspace where the switches are used frequently and […]