- 27/Aug, 2018
Tank vs Tankless Water Heater: Which one is the best?
On buying a new home, or renovating your house, there are multiple decisions to make and endless things to purchase. From flooring to room dcor, everything remains on our to-do list. But what we often do not give much importance to, is the water heater, which is, actually one of the most important home appliances. Picking a good water heater is not an easy task and requires a lot of research work. In this article, we will look at an often asked question, “Which water heater is the best for your home: Tank or Tankless”. Read on to know!
Storage tank water heater
Tank water heaters are available in two variants- gas and electric. They are insulated and keep the inner water warm, and have a thermostat to control temperature. Given below are some of their pros and cons.
• It has lower maintenance and repair cost than a tankless water heater. It only requires draining and flushing twice a year, and testing the pressure relief valve regularly
• Fewer installation complications
• Easily adapted to re-circulation and solar pre-heat applications – this is particularly ideal for desert areas
• Lower replacement costs
• Storage water tanks take up a lot of space. If you have limited floor or even wall space, this may not be suited for you
• These water heaters have a shorter lifespan which is about 10-15 years
• More energy is used to help maintain the temperature of stored water due to reheating water to ensure it is a pre-set temperature. This leads to higher utility bills
• The water in the tank gets heated to the limit of the size of the tank. This would be a limited hot water supply
Tankless water heaters
Tankless water heaters are convenient and energy-efficient and provide endless hot water supply. Instead of storing heated water in tank, it supplies water only when needed. We have listed below, a tankless water heater’s pros and cons.
• A tankless water heater usually lasts between 20-30 years, which is almost double the life of a storage tank water heater
• Tankless water heaters are small and can be installed in tight spaces
• You will never have to wait to get hot water. Tankless water heaters can deliver 2-3 gallons of hot water per minute
• Tankless water heaters can reduce energy cost by 25% as the energy is not used until hot water is needed
• Tankless water heaters have a higher purchase cost than a traditional storage tank
• Limited output: You cannot do multitasking because it does not store a huge amount of water and can serve only one shower/purpose at a time
• If you are replacing a storage tank water heater with a tankless water heater, the replacement can be pricey
• Requires regular professional maintenance
• Because there is no water storage, you don’t get hot water supply in case of a power cut
• Low flow rate: If the flow rate for hot water falls below 0.5 gallon per minute, the unit will not sense a draw and will not continue to heat water
Looking at the pros and cons for each, a storage tank water heater, and a tankless water heater, you would also need to consider the requirements of your needs and then decide what best suits you. Finolex offers a wide range of water heaters with capacity inputs from 1 litre to 35 litres. They are a unique combination of safety, performance and energy-saving features.
Modular Colour Plates Add To Your Home Decor Modular plates are the coverings on your electrical switches. Their main purpose is to keep wires out of sight, and to keep you safe. These plates have evolved over the years to be more in tune with interior designing trends. Earlier, the décor of a room could […]
LED Lighting Trends For 2020 It is not only a new year but a new decade. The modern home and how people live is constantly evolving. Lighting today is a matter of interior design, illumination, productivity, environment and pricing. The successful transition to LEDs has seen light ambience ranging from warm to cool, from ideal […]
10 Décor Ideas To Try In 2020 31/ 01 /2020 You might want to upgrade your home, remodel, or you’re simply moving into a new place. The start of the year is a great time to set the mood for the decade. The year 2020 is set to bring some interesting trends for home décor. […]
26/ 12 /2019 A ceiling fan isn’t meant to just keep a room cool. It can be decorative & even help make your cooling systems more efficient. There are lots of choices available for today’s homeowners. There are even great options available for installations in large halls or businesses. It can be a little intimidating […]
10/ 12 /2019 Here’s How You Can Choose A LED Light That Saves Money When you’re setting up your dream home you want to have the best décor, appliances & fittings. The right lighting can make a great difference for new homes, renovated homes, or even when you are carrying out minor improvements. Ideal lighting […]