- 27/July, 2018
What’s the basic difference between Wires and Cables?
Wires and cables are the terms that are frequently used in the electrical and communication field. But, people tend to get confused about both the terms as they look similar, but actually are quite different. And in this article, we will be giving you a brief description of the difference between wires and cables.
List some of the basic differences between Wires and Cables
The basic key difference between wires and cables is that a wire is a single conductor whereas a cable is a group of conductors. Although, these conductors are made of a common material- copper or aluminium. Usually, the wires are bare and are twisted. But, some of the wires are coated with thin PVC layer. And in case of cables, they run parallelly and are twisted or bonded together to form a single case. For the safety purpose, an inner and outer sheath is made.
A wire is measured by diameter. According to the diameter of the wire, it will be measured by a gauge number. The smaller the gauge number, the thicker the wire. The perfect gauge that is used in residential applications is 10 & 20. But, do keep in mind that big wires carry more current and can damage household appliances by burning the fuse.
A cable contains a hot wire carrying the current, a neutral wire to complete the loop and a grounding wire as well. A cable is classified by the total number of wires it is made up of and their gauge.
Different uses of Wire and Cable
Use of Wire
A wire is used to carry electricity, to bear the mechanical loads, to transmit telecommunication signals, for heating jewellery, clothing, automotive or any industrial manufactured parts like pins, bulbs and needles.
Use of Cable
A cable is used for power transmission, for telecommunication signals or to carry electricity.
Types of Wire and Cable
Types of Electrical Wires
1. Solid – A solid wire has a single conductor and is either insulated or bare and it is usually protected by a coloured sheath. This wire offers a lower resistance and is best to use in higher frequencies.
2. Standard – A standard wire contains many thin wire strands that are twisted together. These wires are used where the flexibility is required, standard wire can be used over a long period of time. Comparatively, the standard wire has larger cross-sectional area than the solid wire.
Types of Electrical Cables
1. Twisted pair cable – A twisted pair cable includes 2 cables that are twisted together. This twisting can avoid the noise produced by magnetic coupling and thus it is used to carry signals. Twisted pair cable is generally used in data communication and telecommunication.
2. Multi-conductor cable – This cable has 2 or more than 2 conductors which are insulated and their purpose is to protect the signal integrity. Both twisted pair cables and multi-conductor are known as balanced line configuration cables.
3. Coaxial cable – A coaxial cable has an inner conductor which is surrounded by a parallel outer foil conductor which is protected by insulating layers. In the cable, the 2 conductors are being separated from each other by an insulating dielectric. These cables are generally used in TV cable as its performance is more stable than the twisted pair cable.
Image Source : estore.finolex.com
4. Fibre optic cable – The fibre optic cable transmits the signals through a bunch of glass threads and comparatively, it has a greater bandwidth than metal conductors and that means they can carry more information and data. For this reason, fibre optic cables are used instead of traditional copper cables.
Different advantages of using Wire and Cable
Advantages of Wire
Using solid wire is perfect in case of higher frequencies and it offers low resistance and cost. And the standard wire shows high resistance to the metal.
Advantages of Cable
Cables are heavy duty, well insulated and have higher strength.
Rules that apply to both:
1. Damaged or torn wires or cables must be replaced.
2. Assure that all the cables and wires are polarised and have safety closures.
3. Keep the wires and cables out of reach of children, or for the safety of your kids switch to Finolex flame retardant cables.
4. Avoid placing wires and cables where they can easily be a trip hazard.
Image Source : estore.finolex.com
Modular Colour Plates Add To Your Home Decor Modular plates are the coverings on your electrical switches. Their main purpose is to keep wires out of sight, and to keep you safe. These plates have evolved over the years to be more in tune with interior designing trends. Earlier, the décor of a room could […]
LED Lighting Trends For 2020 It is not only a new year but a new decade. The modern home and how people live is constantly evolving. Lighting today is a matter of interior design, illumination, productivity, environment and pricing. The successful transition to LEDs has seen light ambience ranging from warm to cool, from ideal […]
10 Décor Ideas To Try In 2020 31/ 01 /2020 You might want to upgrade your home, remodel, or you’re simply moving into a new place. The start of the year is a great time to set the mood for the decade. The year 2020 is set to bring some interesting trends for home décor. […]
26/ 12 /2019 A ceiling fan isn’t meant to just keep a room cool. It can be decorative & even help make your cooling systems more efficient. There are lots of choices available for today’s homeowners. There are even great options available for installations in large halls or businesses. It can be a little intimidating […]
10/ 12 /2019 Here’s How You Can Choose A LED Light That Saves Money When you’re setting up your dream home you want to have the best décor, appliances & fittings. The right lighting can make a great difference for new homes, renovated homes, or even when you are carrying out minor improvements. Ideal lighting […]
Leave a Reply